Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A Therapist's Guide To Massage and Spa Etiquette


1. Can I fart during treatments? My initial understanding of this question was yes. After all there is a lot going on during a massage treatment with pressure being applied in all directions so breaking wind can be a natural bodily expression. Silent would be nice but loud can be quite frequent. So I would have said yes. Unfortunately my clients find me farting during an appointment very inappropriate no matter how hard I am working. So if I can't fart, neither can you.

2. Is there sex available during my spa visit? The answer should be categorically NO but the truth is a little more complex. Understand this - you will never get sex with the therapist. Stopping couples having sex is a little more difficult. Our spa says inappropriate action will cause expulsion yet the loud moaning coming from the dual hydro spa is not the sounds usually representative of a welcome jet of water massaging the feet or back. Even worse they never pull the plug out afterwards and some poor schmuck has to put their hand in there and pull it out. I have even had a couple doing a knee-trembler against the door blocking me from re-entering the treatment room. Once again if I can't have sex during treatments, neither can you.

3. If I am late can you move the appointment time for me? Simple answer is No. You have made an appointment time well in advance knowing to arrive 15 minutes before the booking but because of your tardiness I have to work free overtime and every client after you will have to wait making me look tardy instead. I respect my clients far too much to start late for them so if you don't respect me enough to arrive on time that is your choice. "But it wasn't my fault!" No matter what the reason, you have booked for a particular time and are responsible for it. If you arrive late at a movie would you expect them to restart it or would you expect a plane to return for you because you had a bad day. Of course not so enjoy what time you have left of your appointment and be happy you got there at all. If I have to be there, so do you.

4. Is nudity appropriate during a treatment? Although it can get very hot during a treatment causing discomfort, sweating and deep breathing I find as a therapist it is more appropriate to keep my clothes on. Whether male or female, your dangly bits are sure to make contact with the client at some point and this is only going to cause embarrassment and grief. As far as the clients go briefs should be the minimum requirement. You might think you have a lovely crotch but I probably won't and furthermore I don't need the distraction during a treatment. So if I can't get naked, neither can you.

It doesn't take a genius to see running a spa is a complicated business but experience has shown me the stricter the rules the better it runs. Make no exceptions to your rules and life in a spa is easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment