Monday, April 1, 2013

Giving a Great Massage - The Little Things Make All the Difference


One of the perks of being one of the senior Massage Therapists at the spa I work at is that I get to receive massages from potential candidates for hire. At least, at first glance, this seems like a perk. Sure, I get lots of free massages, especially when we're on a hiring spree. But, I also have to face the unfortunate reality that the majority of the massages are not going to be good. Yes, there IS such a thing as a bad massage! Some of you know how it is, especially if you're a massage therapist. Not all of us are created equal. Some massages blow me away, some massages make me cringe, and then there are lots in between. Here are some of the things that, in my experience, seal the deal when it comes to giving your client the best massage they have ever had:

Your energy. Most of the time, the client can actually tell if you are having a bad day. They can tell when you don't care. They may not feel it on a conscious level, but something about the experience will be a little off. Great massage therapists know how to turn off the rest of the world before they lay their hands on someone. Close your eyes and take a few deep, cleansing breaths before entering the room. Say a quick prayer for your client as you introduce your touch. Ask God or whatever higher power you believe in to help you to do only good for the being on your table, and the ability to block out everything else.

Flow. This is a tough one to explain without being able to demonstrate. Flow is the biggest key for me when it comes to a great massage. The best massages I have ever had were the ones where it seemed as though the massage therapist's hands never left my body, and where they flowed from using hands to forearms to thumbs and back to hands again without ever breaking contact. Using the full surface of the hand is very important during long effleurage strokes. Nothing is worse than an incomplete stroke - not including the glutes when working up the leg, or not including the feet in your first or last long effleurage strokes - it makes me sad just thinking about it. Another part of flow is being thorough on each part of the body, not just working the top surface of the leg or the arm...pick up the limb a little bit and "hug" it as you are spreading the oil, make sure you "hug" the sides of the body when you are working the back. There should always be a sense of completeness.

Scent. Scent is so strongly tied to mood and emotion that it certainly is worth mentioning, and not just in the "massage therapists should have good breath" way. That's pretty obvious! A little lavender or lemon or other uplifting or calming scent wafting through the room will just take the experience up a couple of notches. My acupuncturist's office smells like lavender and a touch of moxa all the time, and I smile as soon as I walk in the door and take a deep breath, because it just smells like calm to me.

"Little touches". I love to use a lavender and chamomile eye pillow on my clients when they are face up. It blocks out the light to help them relax, and the particular one I use is very large and comfy and soft so it has a comforting feel to it as well. I also do some deep breathing with them, and often use essential oils that I choose based on what is happening with that particular client that day. In one recent session, my client had both parents ill and was going into a very busy day at the salon that she owns, so I used some Valor to balance her energy and give her spiritual strength, some Peace and Calming for comfort, and of course Abundance so that she could have a positive, profitable day! She said later that it was the best she'd felt in a month, and that it was the first time she actually felt like talking to people in a long time. What a great result. I know that part of it was the benefits of the massage, but I know that the little extra touch of including the oils took the experience and benefits to the next level for her. Oh, and as a bonus, she ended up signing up to be a Young Living customer!

Every massage therapist wants to give their clients the best of themselves. Our intention is always good. But there will always be those therapists that stand way out from the crowd, those who their clients can't live without. These are the massage therapists that give credit to what we do, and who will bring the art of massage therapy to the forefront of wellness care.

No comments:

Post a Comment