Tuesday, August 13, 2013

How to Recognize a Good Massage Therapist


There is a growing interest in the relaxation business.

No wonder: technical inventions, social media, higher expectations on the job an at home gives an overload of stimuli, that one forgets that the body suffers from the stress as well. Luckily it is no longer a (cultural) taboo to get a massage. But how do you know what you can expect from a good massage therapist?

Before taking a client in for the first time I always give a medical checklist which must be truthfully answered and signed by the client. Some of my first time clients think it is awkward at first. But giving a massage is one thing, receiving one is another. For example, some of my massages include stretching moves. But, when someone has quite a loose shoulder joint, this is not a good idea.

Another: Some people suffer from asthma. You should not use some scented oils than, this will give them trouble breathing.?

A massage therapist should work hygienic

  • Each client gets fresh linen.

  • I no sooner put new linen on the table, as when the client sees me unfolding it.

  • Also I make sure everything smells fresh and is spotless.

  • Furthermore my hands are washed before and after a massage with a sterilizing solution.

Sure, I know I work clean, but my client does not know that before he sees it!

Telling what's going to happen

With new clients, I always mention on forehand that I am applying oil, or put the end of the towel in the underwear. I do not want to startle clients by something i do, I want them to feel save and relaxed!

No (unwanted) talking

I often have clients who are so happy they can choose to talk. Or not. Multiple times I hear from clients about massage therapist who talk on and on.?This should not be. 'I give the massage, but you pay for it.' Is what I often say if people tell me they are relieved cause no chatter is necessary.

Also a good therapist does not gossip about his other clients.

Seriously, if he or she is talking about other clients he or she treats, what are the odds that the same is not said about you?

A good therapist knows his limits.

I always say: there is a fixer for (almost) everything. If a client has a pain problem or issue which I think I cannot solve,?I just say so. A masseuse does not everything, so I suggest they see a doctor or other therapist.

No comments:

Post a Comment